Last updated: November 15, 2017
What Information Do We Collect?
The information we learn from visitors helps us personalize and improve your experience on the Online Services.
- Information You Provide – We and our service providers may collect any information that you provide when you use the Online Services, including when you create an account linked to your name and/or contact information (as “Account”); contact us with a question, comment or request; or purchase a prescription medication voucher through the website or Hippo app. The information you provide us can include, but is not limited to, (a) your name, contact information, username, password, and other registration information; (b) transaction-related information, such as when you purchase a prescription voucher; (c) prescription and over-the-counter medications which you may take or have been prescribed and related health information; (d) date of birth, insurance carrier, insurance policy and group numbers, pharmacy and physician; and (e) other information you provide us when you contact us.
- Information Automatically Collected From You – We and our service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer or mobile device over time and across different websites when you use the Online Services, such as your Internet Protocol address, your general geographic location, your browser type, your operating system, the pages you view on the Online Services, the pages you view immediately before and after you access the Online Services, and the search terms you enter on the Online Services. This information allows us to recognize you and personalize your experience if you return to the Online Services, and to improve the Online Services and the services we provide. We and our service providers may collect this information using “cookies,” which are small text files that the Online Services save on your computer using your web browser and accesses when you return, or similar technologies.
- Precise Real-Time Location Information – The Online Services may, with your permission, access your device location. To prevent the Online Services from accessing device location, please refer to instructions provided by your mobile device provider or device manufacturer.
- Information Obtained From Third Parties – We and our service providers may collect information about you from third-party sources. This information is used by Hippo to verify your identity in online transactions, to better provide the suite of Online Services, to assist you in managing your healthcare, and to aid in tailoring the Online Services to you. In connection with providing you the Online Services, we and our service providers also may, with your direction, obtain your medical information, including your medical and insurance coverage information, medication history, and billing information, from your physicians, pharmacies, other health care providers, insurance companies, and pharmacy benefit managers (collectively, “Providers”).
How Do We Use This Information?
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- providing you with products, services, or information you request;
- providing you with the Online Services;
- finding arrangements that result in lower prices for your healthcare, including prescription medications;
- scheduling appointments with Providers;
- communicating with you about appointments, prescription refills, prescription transfers, and related health care services;
- contacting Providers to request information necessary to provide the Online Services;
- contacting Providers on your behalf to request prescription transfers, refills, or renewals;
- providing you with information about the Online Services or required notices;
- delivering marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you, including medication compliance and refill reminder notifications;
- customizing your experience when using the Online Services, such as by providing interactive or personalized elements on the Online Services and providing you with content based on your interests;
- delivering advertising that we think may interest you, based on your activities over time on the Online Services and on other websites and online platforms;
- allowing us to improve the Online Services and the services we provide, such as by better tailoring our content to our users’ needs and preferences;
- generating and analyzing statistics about your use of the Online Services;
- helping our advertisers and sponsors better understand our users (provided that for such purposes we do not provide information that could reasonably identify you or your device); and
We also may combine or aggregate any of the information we collect through the Online Services, offline, or elsewhere for any of these purposes.
Under What Circumstances Do We Disclose This Information?
We may disclose the information we collect from you through the Online Services in the following circumstances:
- to Providers in order to provide the Online Services, including, but not limited to, sharing information with your physician to schedule an appointment or with your pharmacy to obtain the cost of your prescription medication or request prescription refills, renewals or transfers;
- to third parties that provide services to us in connection with our business operations and that have agreed to keep the information confidential, including, but not limited to, third parties that provide voucher and payment processing services;
- to business partners that may use the information to deliver marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or to comply with government reporting obligations;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary (a) to protect our rights, the integrity of the Online Services, or your safety or the safety of others, or (b) to detect, prevent, or respond to fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our Terms and Conditions, violations of law, or other misuse of the Online Services; and
- to service providers, advisors, potential transactional partners, or other third parties in connection with the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a corporate transaction in which we are acquired by or merged with another company or we sell, liquidate, or transfer all or a portion of our assets.
In addition, we may share de-identified reports on user demographics and traffic patterns, as well as de-identified information, with third parties.
The Online Services also may contain third-party links. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such third parties that are not under our control. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of each website you visit.
How is Your Information Secured?
We have administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the information collected by the Online Services. However, no information system can be 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to the Online Services over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
The Online Services allow you access to your Account information for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information.
The Online Services are not directed to, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 13. If you become aware that your child or any child under your care has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us at the contact information listed below.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you reside in California and have provided us information that identifies you, you may be entitled to request information once per calendar year about our disclosures of certain categories of certain information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us in writing at the following address:
Hippo Technologies, LLC
One World Trade Center Suite 8500
New York, NY 10007
With the exception of certain features of the Online Services that may reveal sensitive financial information or information about your health or medical treatment, we may permit third-party advertising companies or ad networks to display third-party advertisements on our websites and/or automatically collect information from Online Services websites for purposes of inferring your interests and advertising based on your interests on the Online Services or other online properties, including those operated by third parties. Those ads may include ads for our products or services or for other companies’ products or services
If you would like more information about opting-out of interest-based advertising or would like to opt-out of receiving interest-based advertising, visit the choices page offered by the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”).